Funky Chipmunk

Not sure why this chipmunk was chewing on its own tail. Maybe it was having a bad day.

This is a smaller piece than usual - 18x24cm burgunady Pastelmat. I wanted to do a quick piece that wouldn't take days, so I chose this. I didn't even both with an underpainting, just went straight for the pastel sticks. I used four different greens for the background, all Unisons, I think.

I wanted this to be a colourful chipmunk and decided to use yellow/orange for the left (where the light hits) and pink for the right. However, after completing the face, I realised that it wasn't working because both sides of the face were too similar in value. The contrast wasn't there.

So I decided to add darker purples instead, and I think it works. As you can see from the photo below,  such a riot of colours I used! Let's see - a mixture of Unison, Mungyo Gallery and Schmincke.

After that, I was on a roll, so I didn't stop to take photos. Completed the rest of the painting in one sitting. I love it when that happens 💓



Comments