Sugary sweet

I wanted to practise painting background using pastels. Was also was feeling guilty about neglecting my coloured pencils since I've switched to pastels. So I drew this last night, from a photo that we took at a wonderful gelato shop in Madrid.

This drawing killed two birds with one stone - pastel background and gelato in coloured pencils. This is Canson Mi-Teintes paper, a dark grey. I used the reverse side. Getting colours to look bright on dark paper is always a challenge.

First, I taped the paper on a hard board. Tried drawing on an easel for the first time as I read that it allows the pastel dust to fall on ledge and not mess up the paper. I'm not used to it though, my hand ached after a while. So it was back to painting flat on the table.

When the underlayer first goes on, everything looks a mess!

Love the colour palette I used for the first gelato - warm browns and caramel shades.


 

This drawing is dangerous to do at night though. It made me so hungry, I ended up eating unnecessary supper at 11.30pm. Who knew art could also add calories!

Comments