This is home, truly

As a tribute to Singapore's National Day (9 August), I did a series of three drawings on local scenes. 

This first one is a revisit of a drawing in markers I did previously. I was curious how it would look on toned paper, using coloured pencils instead. I love the effect - the tan paper and the sepia ink outline adds to the nostalgic feel.


This next one is of Kampong Glam, again trying out new paper. This Strathmore grey scale paper is much thicker and more textured, so it was harder to get crisp lines. But I went over some of the lines with markers, so I think it turned out quite ok.

Finally, pure nostalgia drove me to draw old school an ice cream cart. I used pastels for the background. I wasn't used to this very textured paper and ended up having to rub very hard to get the blurred effect. I think I might have sanded my fingerprints away with this drawing.

All three drawings are for sale, with the bulk of proceeds going to charity. Check out the full list.

I also ended up drawing two quintessential Singapore birds, seen in the next post.

Comments