Black and white

I thought I should practise drawing white and black fur in preparation for more pet portraits. A white dog or a black cat sounds rather inevitable!
 
For the white fur, I chose to draw a polar bear. 
 
 
For the black fur, it was a no-brainer. It had to be a black panther, in memory of Chadwick Boseman. Wakanda forever.
 

I also decided to do the background for both, something I usually dislike doing. Had a lightbulb moment when I discovered that all those previous times, my backgrounds turned out less than satisfactory was because of the paper! 
 
Pastels layer and blend so beautifully on this new Strathmore Artagain paper I bought from Overjoyed. Am very happy with this discovery. Will do a detailed review of this paper when I've experimented more with it.
 
If my next pet portrait assignment turns out to be a black and white pet, I'll be so tickled😆

Comments