Animal study

Four more drawings that I put up for sale, for charity. They came about from a very random stream of consciousness:

"That hedgehog pic was pretty nice, let's do more fur!" --> Cup-o-cat


"Hand hurts from drawing all that fur, let's do something lighter --> Daunt bookstore


"Actually, drawing animals is quite fun. Let's try another but enough fur. Maybe feathers? And for extra challenge, add a bokeh background!" --> Kingfisher


I'm very pleased with this picture. The bokeh background turned out pretty well and I'm thinking it solves a lot of my previous problems painting backgrounds of sky, grass and water. Colouring feathers is different from colouring fur and again, I didn't expect the outcome to turn out so great.

 
I watched a bunch of Youtube videos on pastel drawings and got terribly inspired (totally dismissing the fact that I just mentioned 2 days ago that I hate pastels cos they're so messy.) Rummaged in my cupboard and dusted off 30-year-old pastels from cupboard. I really did buy a lot of art supplies during my university days. I think that's where all my scholarship money went to.


"Let's do a background with these!" --> Fox in socks


I love this picture to bits. Everything just came together and the fur looks realistic. I conversed a lot with God when doing this drawing ("hey God, that bit looks so nice! Thank you!") Using pastels to do the bokeh background was also mind-blowing. What would take me at least an hour using coloured pencils took me no time at all using pastels and the blend was perfect. The downside is that it's terribly messy and trying not to get smudges on the drawing is a challenge. I'll have a buy a fixative for this.


After I completed this picture, I felt a pang about having to sell it. But I felt God whisper, "I'll help you draw better ones." Good enough for me.

PS In case you think every drawing I do improves exponentially and turns out well, it's not so. In between these 4, there were 3 spoilt ones that I abandoned halfway so it's still very much learning in progress. And yes, I do get frustrated and discouraged when I don't get the outcome I'm after. But that itself, I guess, is also a learning journey.

See the full list of artworks for sale.

Comments