St Peter's Basilica

Right after my art for charity, I decided to draw for myself for a bit. I had recently bought the Canson Mi-Teintes toned pastel paper and itching to try out coloured pencils on them, especially on architecture.


So I did this sunrise (sunset?) view of St Peter's Basilica.


That paper is luxe and lovely but it needs getting used to. I didn't realise that the front of the paper was a honeycomb texture which made getting a smooth thin line using coloured pencils really difficult. I think I'll try using the back next time, which has a finer tooth. The front is probably more appropriate for pastels.

But I'm growing an appreciation for toned paper. It makes higlights and shadows that much easier than using white paper, where it's hard to get highlights to show.



Comments