Coloured pencil art for charity

After some consideration, I decided I would like to again try selling art for charity but only in coloured pencil or mixed media, not markers.

There's a story behind this: My friend who commissioned the Liverpool gate piece asked if the colours would fade. Good question. I didn't know. After some research, I found out that marker ink can fade over time. Yikes!

While it's probably ok if the pieces are not placed near a window or under direct sunlight, I felt a little uncomfortable with the uncertainty and thought I shouldn't be selling them. So I decided that pieces for sale would be done either with coloured pencils or at least a mixture of coloured pencils and markers. The coloured pencils I use are professional grade and have been tested for lightfastness - they should maintain their colours as long as they're not under direct sunlight (nothing can survive that!)

These were the first four I posted in my so-called Phase 2: 


Country church
Doing sky and greenery is still tricky for me. I think I'm getting better but I still have some way to go.

Fez, Morocco
The only issue with coloured pencils is that they tend to give a fuzzier, dreamy effect (like in this Fez drawing) which is nice in its own way, but not that bright, crisp look that I love with line drawings and markers. However, the Inktense set of coloured pencils I bought is supposed to give an ink effect when wet and I'm so pleased to say that it really works! (pic of the jamon shop). I don't think it's as crisp as just using markers, but it's more than passable. I still used some markers as underlayers but it's topped with coloured pencil so if there really is some fading, the coloured pencil layer should take care of that.

Jamoneria
And finally, I did this still life piece. It's quite fun but getting the items to look realistic take a lot of coloured pencil work and it's really tough on the hand. But I do love me coloured pencils ♥


See the full list of artworks for sale.

Comments