Spain Project Part 1

If you haven't read the "About Me" page yet, please do, for a background to this project!

In mid-May when the Circuit Breaker was imposed, my daughter suggested I try my hand at art, mostly to take my mind off things by giving myself a new project. So I decided to draw building sketches of the Spain family holiday we took in 2019, using markers.

My first drawing of Alhambra was done on 17 May and it was quite crappy. It reminded me how rusty I was. The drawing became worse worse when I added the colour, since I'd used my limited number of markers that I'd dug up. They were mostly in gaudy hues and almost 30 years old (older than my daughter!) BUT let's not blame the tools, it's totally the workman's fault here.

Pic 1: Alhambra, Granada

I posted my drawings on FB so that my FB community would keep me acocuntable and  force me to keep at it. Anyway, I figured if the first one was terok, the only way I can go was up 😆

The second one was not much better, even though I tried to select a building that at least matched the colours I had in my markers.

Pic 2: Plaza de toros, Seville

Then for the third picture, I ditched the markers and tried using watercolour pencils instead (also as old but at least they're artist grade, quality stuff!) It was a huge improvement.

Pic 3: City of Girona, watercolour pencils

 The next one, I went back to markers and tried doing a scene with people. Not very successful - I don't enjoy drawing people.

Pic 4: Cafe scene, Madrid

Then I tried an interior from a photo we'd taken of a takos restaurant we visited. I was enticed by the chalkboard but using coloured pencils gave it a fuzzy look which disappointed me. By then, I'd ordered a new set of markers because these obviously CMI.

Pic 5: Takos al Pastor, Madrid

 My new markers arrived! Along with some new fine liners.


I tested out my new toys by tackling the magnificent Sagrada Familia and was simply thrilled by the results. They do look great.

Pic 6: Sagrada Familia

I even did another in cartoon style, just so I could try out some of the brighter colours.

Pic 7: Sagrada Familia, cartoon style

And then I thought, I wonder what they would look like on stained glass, but not brave enough to try the awe-inspiring Sagrada Familia interior, I did a more modest version of my church's stained glass.

Pic 8: My church's stained glass

Part 2 in next post.

Comments